Re: A(uto)mounting we shall try to go... syntax not right

> > mount   -t   smbfs   -o   username=bob    //herman/herman_e   /mnt/q
>
> Aiee.  The Samba stuff.  Having fun yet? ;)

Actually, so far it's been very clean. RH8 has shielded me from everything
<s>.

> Use the standard facilities for this.  The automounter, I believe, is for
> mounting CD's and other stuff automatically when the system detects that
one has
> loaded a particular drive with media, but I'm not sure.  I don't use any
such
> facilities on my boxes here...

Got it.

> This means that you must tweak /etc/fstab.  Something like this
> ought to work:
>
>     //foohost/bar /mnt/foo smbfs username=foo,bar,baz=null 0 0

OK, I'm opening up the man pages for fstab and poking around....

Got a connection working automatically now. I modified fstab with a line at
the bottom like so:
  //herman/herman_e /mnt/r smbfs username=bob
where bob is a user in the NT domain

When my Linux box boots, there's automatically a 'r' icon on the desktop and
inside the 'r' icon there are all the appropriate directories on the Windows
box. Nifty.

> In the fourth field, I showed how to add extra options by putting
> bogus ones
> there; they should be kind of obvious.  But, just in case they aren't:
>
>     //foohost/bar /mnt/foo smbfs username=foo 0 0

Ummm, I'm still have trouble guessing at some of the options. All of the man
pages and HOWTOs on the web point to fstab as the source for the options,
but somehow I'm missing the ones _I_ want. I don't see username (or
password - see below) doc'd anywhere.

> Hope this helps.

Yes - a LOT! I'm connecting and editing file server files from my Linux box.
Very smooth! Perfect. Well, almost...

One glitch - during bootup, it stalls on the line
  mouting SMB file systems
so I updated the fstab line like so
  //herman/herman_e /mnt/r smbfs username=bob,password=barker

Does that password really have to be stored in a well known file in clear
text? Blech!

Whil