RE: logging in as root via telnet

So, none of these computers are connected to the Internet? If not, then I
won't worry about you, but if so, our hearts will weep ;)

SSH is as simple as telnet. It's a drop-in replacement. Installing the
RPMs for SSH (if for some reason your distribution didn't automatically
install it) are easier than coercing telnet to be even less secure.

Not trying to set up an arguement, but sometimes when Steven gets carried
away (not that he _ever_ does that), people don't realize just how simple
SSH is to use.

[kara@varstation kara]$ ssh web1
kara@web1's password:
Last login: Fri Dec 22 19:02:10 2000 from varstation.lanscape.net
[kara@web1 kara]$

Pretty easy, huh? It is a good habit to get into. If you want to ssh with
a different username than you're currently using (e.g. kpritchard instead
of kara) you'd ssh kpritchard@web1 instead of just web1. (note, web1 is on
the same domain as my local machine is, as I assume yours are set up on
your home network.)

Also, ssh requires 1/2 the keystrokes of telnet, so that's an arguement
within itself ;)

Okay, enough picking. Enjoy your day everyone,

Kara

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Brune, Charlie wrote:

> Nope.  My computers are all in one room and I'm pretty sure my wife isn't going
> to hack into them.  8-)
>
> I'm really just looking to turn off whatever setting tells telnet not to let
> root in.
>
> Thanks for the links, just the same.  I'll try them out.
>
> Thanks,
> Chas

Author, RHCE Exam Cram
Linux Evangelist                        kara@linuxgruven.com