Re: Certification

Steven Pritchard wrote:

> Ruth Wolfson said:
> > <snip>
> > How steep is the learning curve for Linux?
>
> Not too bad, and it's getting less steep all the time.  (That's
> assuming you don't already have Unix experience...  If you do, Linux
> is *easy*.)
>
> As much as I dislike the series, you might want to take a look at
> Linux for Dummies.  It was written by Jon "maddog" Hall, the Executive
> Director of Linux International (and all-around nice guy).  It seems
> to be a good introduction to Linux.

Make sure to NOT get the first edition of that Linux for Dummies book.
The first edition was such an embarrassment that IDG didn't even
acknowledge it when that had Jon "maddog" Hall do the second edition.
To me, the first edition looked like it wasn't even finished.  I feel
sorry for the guy they tagged as the reviewing technical expert.

Unfortunately the St. Louis County Library system has a ton of the
first edition books.

Also, the IDG "Linux for dummies quick reference" by Phil Hughes
CALL # 005.4469/H894L is a much better read than that first book
by Witherspoon.

stan reichardt
editor St. Louis Unix Users Group CRONicle newsletter
http://www.sluug.org