Re: Certification

Ruth,
  I am a member of the silug-discussion, although a quiet one.  I am the
technology coordinator for the School of Education at SIUE.  I have several
Linux servers/dual boot machines running here on campus and have a dual boot
machine at home that I play with.  My background is Apple 2E in th late 70's,
migrated to TRS-DOS and Unix while I was in the service, and then WINDOZ until
last year.  I have installed and run RedHat Linux 5.0 to 7.0.  The learning
curve depends on your background.  I am curently working with a CIS/MIS
undergraduate who has yet to appreciate the beauty of the command line
interface but loves the Gnome interface on RH 7.0.  He is gradually learning
the power of Linux versus Microsoft/Novell but still has problems.
  To me, computers are logical devices that deal, at the bottom line with 1's
and 0's and text, and therefore confer power on those who know how to manage
them.  "Users" want computers to work like their car, they turn the key, it
starts, and they drive away.  I want to be able to "tune" my car and that is
what Linux allows me to do.  By all means, look into Linux, peruse the Help
file, Man pages and other online documentation.  As a science teacher, what you
learn here will help you in any field later.

Bill