Re: Beowulf at SIUC?

My adviser is steering me towards doing simulations of fault-
tolerant strategies for multiprocessing.  (What if a node
has a hardware failure?  What if a node has an operating
system failure?  What if a connection fails?) My impression
right now is that a Beowulf system would work nicely for this.
However, I remember now reading about another Beowulf that had
two ports per node, so I agree with you on this issue.

I've only glanced at Mosix.  It does not seem to be open source.
I don't want to just be an installer of what other people do.  I
want to do things myself.  :-)

I am wondering about the possibility of having a Beowulf in the
math department and another Beowulf in the CS department that
communicated with each other.  Right now I'm just playing with
ideas.  I have permission to contact the math department
professors and I still need to contact two CS professors who
want a cluster.  Their opinions may overrule any of my
current ideas.  Who is LJ?  Where do I get 4 port network cards
and how much do they cost?  I think departments will have
old PC's laying around, but not this type of network card.
I think maybe I should ask for funding of the network cards in
order to "recycle" old PC's.

<http://www.cs.siu.edu/~langin>      <mailto:chester@langin.com>
The statement "Any statement is a paradox or it isn't" is false.