Re: new magazine

Emmett said:
> Wouldn't it be a "good" thing to have Linux become popular with the younger
> generations?  Fresh ideas and all that.

Bah, Linux is already popular with the younger generation.  You should
see these high school kids around here...  :-)

I'm kinda with Kara on this one...  I'm not so sure I like the idea of
Linux being seen as a toy, even if it is just to sell it to a juvenile
market.  (Maybe I'm being a little harsh about the magazine, but the
graphics in it are *very* juvenile.  I couldn't bring myself to read
the articles.)

> I don't understand how an additional information source could have a
> negative impact on the Linux community.  Plus... why make Linux appear hard
> to use?  Just a thought.

These kinds of non-professional "information sources" tend to be
anything but.  I was reading one of these Linux newsletter things
written by someone who is basically a newbie, but likes the Linux
community thing.  He was spouting off about something that he
obviously had no knowledge of.  Unfortunately, I know about this
because one of my less-Linux-savvy co-workers reads this newsletter
and tends to accept most of it as fact, and usually forwards it on to
my even-less-Linux-savvy co-workers.  Now they are all going to have
the mistaken impression that some random thing is hard/broken on
Linux, when in fact the problem was with the author of the newsletter.

I hope that makes some kind of sense...

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month