Re: new magazine

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, R.Threet wrote:

> I dunno.  IMO, this is a desktop or user oriented magazine rather than a
> server oriented magazine.  I, for one, would like to see everybody using
> this as the desktop.  Also, I can't always get enough good info on the
> special tweaks and work-arounds for games.

Only concern is, if the masses pick it up as a "toy" as this particular
zine makes it appear, it won't get taken seriously in the corporate
market, which is who pads the devel's pockets, and keep the projects
going...

> Incidently Kara, congrats on the Red Hat certification.  How was the
> testing?  Was is hard?  Is it worth the money?  I have a engineer who
> used to work with SCO a little.  Could this ramp up his Linux skills
> quickly or do they assume you've been an enthusiast for a few years
> already?

Well, thanks. I was there for the full week's training and the full day's
testing. The program is better all the time. Since the certification
applies nothing at my particular job, I probably wouldn't have forked out
the $$ out of my personal expenses. However, I had to have it for my book,
so it was paid out of my book advance :P As was my laptop, and steven's
final credit card payment :P

If you have comfortable Unix skills, this program is probably quite good
for you. It is rather high paced in some areas, and slow in others.. and
if a company is paying for it, I'd say go for it ;) It's worth that much
to a company.. But not quite there yet for the private individual.

> Kara Pritchard wrote:
> >
> > Heh. I don't like it, and in all honesty I hope it doesn't "fly". The
> > magazine is geared toward teenagers. I don't think we should make Linux
> > look like a "game" geared for hobbyists. I think that magazine just
> > portrays linux as a "fad", just like "java", and the gamer zines.
> >
> > On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, R.Threet wrote:
> >

> > > Maximum Linux.  Very good, new Linux magazine.  Is geared more toward
> > > the beginner but generally has lots more "fun" articles.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Robert Threet
> > > Chief Technology Officer
> > > Cornerstone Systems, Inc.
> > > (812) 423-7676 x3003
> > >
> > > --
> > >

> > - Kara

- Kara

Kara Pritchard                        	Phone: 217-698-1694
Red Hat Certified Engineer
Linux Users of Central Illinois		kara@luci.org
LUG Project Manager - Linux.com		kara@linux.com