answer my own question

I found this, it got me to log in and start ppp, but I get a PAP
authentification error..... DOH!!

http://www.silug.org/LDP/FAQ/PPP-FAQ-17.html
17.3 The chat script stops after sending the account name and it never
receives the password prompt.
Some systems, notably SCO, will flush the receive buffers after writing the
prompts for user name and password. The chat program normally transmits the
response immediately upon seeing the prompt. The result is that the reply
from chat is flushed by SCO. The chat program continues to wait for the
password prompt. However, the remote system is still waiting for the user to
enter the account name.
The solution is simple. Slow down the responses from chat so that there is
time for the remote system to flush the receive buffer before chat starts to
send the response. Chat supports this with the \d parameter. Change the
response strings similar to the following:
	  ogin:--ogin: \d\daccount assword: \d\dhello2u2

Matthew

Matthew Walker, MCSE
Cornerstone Systems, Inc.
(812) 423-7676 x3015