Re: Linux Journal

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Matt Wehland wrote:

> Hello,
>
> First I must say thanks for the free copy of LINUX JOURNAL
> <http://www.ssc.com/lj/>, it is a great mag, and I have already started my
> subscription.  They have a deal where you sign up for a free issue and then
> if you pay in advance w/ a credit card, then you get another issue.  I got
> the Nov, 98 issue, and it is very interesting.  I thought I had scanned it
> and read all the good articles, but as I read the whole thing, I find it
> all interesting.

Excellent.  Glad you like it.

> Also I didn't catch names, who had the Wrangler and talked all night, and
> who was the other guy?

I'm the guy that talked all night, I guess.

> Have you seen http://www.empeg.com/ ?

Yep

> What do you think of it?

Pretty nice.  Almost affordable.

> I think it would still be cool to do your own.  I am interested in turning
> a computer into a home entertainment center.  Storing all CD's online,
> recording off air for later use, all sorts of neat things.  Play back
> different channels for different rooms and have seperate Amps in each room,
> voice activation, wireless remotes, and touch screen interfaces where necesary.

Well, I have the deck.  I'm going to try and get it installed today
depends on the weather.  I've chosen which single board computer, and have
modified the design a tad.  I'm going to try and use a PC/104 PCMCIA
module and use a laptop IDE drive.  It should help in keeping the heat
generated.

> Also the next meeting is monday, same palce/time right?

Yep, I'm sending an announcement tonight.
I'm going to talking about dialing into an ISP.  So, I'll be covering
setting up your modem, chat scripts and even demand dialing.  Should be
about an hour.  Rich is going to be talking about upgrading your current
kernel to 2.2.0 series.  Should take about 45 minutes.  And of course we
will have the question and answer session.

> Have the differences of GNU vs GPL vs Freeware vs comercial been covered
> lately?  I am really just interested in the small differences in GPL vs
> GNU, but find the whole somparison interesting.  1 or 2 minutes should
> cover it, I'd think it's fairly simple (not that I've never been wrong).

Nope, we haven't covered it.  But, if you want, how about you give a 15min
or so talk about the differences.