Re: SCSI Interface

I actually agree with Steve on his views on SCSI.  Normally I would just get
a good IDE, but this time I think SCSI should be worth it, since I  am
building a CD rom burner, scanner/graphics station.  I just got a cheap
Parallel port scanner, and although it works, it is god awful slow,
conflicts with the printer, you have to have it powered up for the printer
to work (pass thru SCSI) and I haven't had the guts to add my zip drive into
this parallel port chain.  I am seriously considering getting another
parallel port, just so I can split some devices up.  SCSI is real nice for
devices other than HD's, such as zip or removable drives, scanners and other
things.  I am also considering possibly trying out a USB interface with my
next scanner (the parallel port version will hopefully be replaced soon)
Also what I eventually want is to have multiple CD rom burners, DVD, and at
least one fast CD reader.  I would like to be able to burn CD's straight
from a CD, not have to make a disk image, and still be able to record at the
drive's full speed.  Last time we played with IDE it just was no where near
meeting this kind of performance.
I am planning on adding large fast IDE drives to the system for near-online
storage, for data that doesn't need to be quite so fast, since the price per
meg is 1/3 that of a fast SCSI drive.

I am also planing on getting the Diamond Fireport 40 Dual port, so that I
can run legacy devices on their own channel and still have all my fast
drives actually running fast.  Does anyone have any experience with the Dual
Port?

And as far as pricing, I called up CDW today and they would match Buycomps
and others prices (also the listed price for the drive on their web page
dropped today), unfortunately CDW may or may not have them in stock.

>(All of you who know me, please brace yourselves...)
>
>For what it's worth, I'm honestly not sure I'd bother with SCSI.  This
>is coming from a guy who's been trying *very* hard to have an all-SCSI
>system for almost 4 years.
>
>Ultra DMA IDE drives are almost half the price of decent SCSI drives,
>and they are damn near as fast.  They also don't use nearly as much
>CPU as older IDE drives/controllers, as I understand it.
>
>The IBM drives are *very* nice, and *very* cheap.  The 8.4 gigs are
>$188 (5400 RPM) or $205 (7200 RPM) right now, according to PriceWatch
>(http://www.pricewatch.com/).  Both have 512k cache, where most drives
>only have 128k.  I've had a lot of luck with the 6.4 gig, 5400 RPM,
>IBM drive in the dual...
>

>Steve
>--
>steve@silug.org           | Linux Users of Central Illinois
>(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month
>Steven Pritchard          | http://www.luci.org/ for more info
>
>--

  Matt Wehland    mwehland@webtripper.com   http://www.webtripper.com
     95 Mustang GT Crystal White 5spd  Best 14.601, in street trim