Re: Quick Books Pro Replacement?

Joe Alan Mackey said:
> I am a very newbie ,thanks to Matthew Walker, and have a question.
> I have looked at every site I can find to locate a replacement for Quick
> Books Pro. This is the
> Program I have kept my farm records on for years and need a replacement
> that will run under LINUX
> I have downloaded wine and am not doing well with it yet but the threads
> I have seen say it will not support QBP 100% yet so no dice too many
> hours of book keeping to risk with maybe I came to LINUX for reliability
> not maybe .

There are quite likely commercial QBP-type programs out there that
will run on Linux, but honestly I'd be surprised if there is anything
of that quality at anything close to that price at the moment.  The
one place where Linux is at a disadvantage to Windows at the moment is
in standard desktop applications, financial applications especially.
(For example, as far as I know, there are no tax programs for Linux,
and I seriously doubt anybody will ever do one for free...)

Linux is not perfect for every task (yet).  Even I usually keep
Windows on some crappy computer so I can run certain software
(QuickBooks used to be one thing).  Linux isn't Windows or DOS, so
don't expect to be able to run every Windows or DOS application.  (As
it turns out though, dosemu *can* run most anything, and wine does a
damn good job of running Windows programs.)

I did try QuickBooks under wine & Wabi a year or so ago...  Wabi
didn't like it a bit, as I recall, but wine handled it reasonably
well.  If I remember correctly, printing under wine was still
questionable at the time though, so I didn't bother testing it too
extensively.  (I was using QuickBooks primarily to print invoices.)  I
have no clue how much better it would be now, but I'd imagine it'll
work reasonably well...

Of course, the real answer here is to bug Intuit until they sell Linux
versions of their software.  :-)  (They already support Windows & Mac,
and Linux is more popular than MacOS these days by far...)

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month