X problem (was Re: ZDNet Article)

Francisco Cribari said:
> I have just installed Red Hat Linux 5.0 on my system. My video
> card is Matrox Millennium, I have 4 MB of video memory, and my
> monitor is DELL VS17 (UltraScan 17TX). I ran Xconfigurator and
> all semmed to go well. However, I am stuck at resolution 1024
> x 768 w/ true color. I would like to run 16 bit color
> w/ resolution 1280 x 1024.

You might want to try running "startx -- -bpp 16".  That'll start X at
16-bit color.  It just might kick up to a higher resolution.  If not,
try Ctrl+Alt+<numeric keypad +/->.  That key combination will cycle
you through the available resolutions.

If none of that does what you want, let me/us know.

On a side note, am I the only person who can't stand Red Hat's
Xconfigurator?  XFree's XF86Setup and xf86config always worked better
for me, but Red Hat has continued to push their broken crap on
everybody yet again...  (Believe it or not, I'm actually getting to
the point that I like Red Hat.  The number of things that piss me off
about it is dropping all the time.  Besides, I'm working on rpms of
everything broken/missing in the distribution...  :)

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month