Re: Owncloud

While I was out of town for work, I gave Owncloud its first real test from a remote location. My laptop and android phone synced perfectly.

Like Dropbox, the Owncloud app can auto-sync the photos on your mobile device if you let it.
However, I did notice the Owncloud app has to be running in order for files to automatically sync in the background. I did not spend a lot of time investigating this, but Google seems to indicate this is not by design.

Here are some other installation notes:
- No weird ports need to be opened on your firewall. You only need port 443 open.
- Default url is https://yoursever/ownlcoud. Clients, apps, and humans all use this same url.
- Owncloud is current up to version 10.x, but only owncloud 9.x is available in epel for centos 7, no doubt due to the php 7 requirements in owncloud 10.x. I don't want to hack my Centos 7 server with php 7. I'll just wait until CentOS 8 is released.
- Owncloud can use multiple dropbox, onedrive, etc services as the storage backend(s) if you want (optionally with it's own transparent encyrption). Unfortunately the Dropbox add-on in Owncloud 9 is dated and no longer works with the latest dropbox. I'll try this again after I upgrade to Centos 8 then Owncloud 10.
- Owncloud docker container is available if you choose

So far, I've only synced moderately sized pdf's. I have not yet synced any really large files.

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 8:26 AM Intense Red <intnsred@golgotha.net> wrote:
>  Anyone else out there using Owncloud?

   That's been on my to-do list, just because I revolt at the idea of putting
my personal info onto some commercial service whose license "agreement" was
likely written by lawyers to purposely cause users to *not* read the text.

   So count me as one who'd love to hear your experience in setting it up and
getting it ready.

--
"With software there are only two possibilities: either the users control the
program or the program controls the users. If the program controls the users,

Thanks,
Andy