Re: Creating a zfs filesystem in CentOS 6.4

I would still nuke the mdadm raid 5 and let zfs handle it for you, that is one of the strengths of zfs, it can make intelligent choices when it controls the drives, and zfs has its own built in raid type functionality you can take advantage of

On May 19, 2013 4:22 PM, "Steven Pritchard" <steve@silug.org> wrote:
On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 02:17:30PM -0500, dsavage@peaknet.net wrote:
> I'm now at another standstill. I only have 8 GB of RAM in this system. I
> need that much to cache the block hashes for a 1 TB ZFS volume. My RAID5
> array is 2 TB, so I need another 8 GB of RAM just for ZFS. So now I'm
> looking for 24 GB more of DDR2 ECC of the correct speed (??) before
> resuming the conversion.

You can turn on deduplication later, so there's no need to wait to set
everything up.

You can't dedupe after the fact though (yet), so you might want to wait
to actually copy data to it.