Re: 3.0.0 kernel

The answer to "what's in a name" is sometimes surprising when dealing with
version numbers.  People (or at the very least, any customer I've worked
with) tend to attach big meanings to version numbers of products.  "It's
only version 1.2?  But you've been working on it for 6 months!"

I like to think of major version changes as the time to cut backwards
compatibility for the bad ideas of the past.  Most customers recognize
that when the big number changes, it means there might be some pain
involved in updating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning#Political_and_cultural_significance_of_version_numbers