Re: CentOS 5.5 in VMware Wkstn 7.1.3

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 9:42 PM, Robert G. (Doc) Savage
<dsavage@peaknet.net> wrote:
> Here's the proposed sequence:
> 1. log in as root in runlevel 3
> 2. mkdir /home-temp
> 3. mv /home/user /home-temp/
> 4. use fdisk to remove /home extended partition (/dev/sda4 & /dev/sda5)
> 5. swapoff to disable swap partition (/dev/sda3)
> 6. use fdisk to remove swap partition
> 7. use fdisk to create a new swap partition from cyls 3007-3263
>    >> note: this is the same size (in cyls) as 516-772
> 8. write partitions & quit fdisk, rewriting the tables
> 9. swapon to enable new swap partition (/dev/sda3) at top of disk
> 10. resize2fs /dev/sda2 to grow / filesystems up to start of swap
> 11. mv /home-temp /home

Let me review these steps, and I'll get back to you.

> Will the virtual machine become unstable at step 5 with no swap?
> Will resize2fs safely grow /dev/sda2 up to the beginning of /dev/sda3?

If you set /dev/sda2's dimensions such that the final partition
boundary is adjacent to the beginning partition boundary for
/dev/sda3, yes.

> While mounted?

This only works when the filesystem is ext3.  I mean, you're free to
try it, but I would really advise that you unmount the volume before
mangling it.

-nrr