Re: CentOS 5.5 in VMware Wkstn 7.1.3

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 8:34 AM, Robert G. (Doc) Savage
<dsavage@peaknet.net> wrote:
> (Answered your last question separately.)

I saw. :)

> The trouble I'm having is the ruthless way CentOS 5.5 is being installed
> under VMware Workstation 7.1.3. I get no opportunity to review and
> change the partitioning scheme. I suspect the culprit is VMware

This is the part that I find horribly bizarre, but I don't have any
experience with modern VMware products outside of ESXi and
vCenter/vSphere, so I really can't be helpful here, I'm afraid.

> It's the grow and resize steps I've never done. What would be the tools
> and syntaxes to do that?

Since you're not using LVM, fdisk and resize2fs (sorry, got the name
backwards the first time around; I don't do this often enough!) are
plenty fine.  For the benefit of others watching this list, the trick
with using fdisk is that, when recreating the deleted partition, you
must keep the initial partition boundary the same while moving the
final boundary out as required.

Past that, a dance with resize2fs with no parameters but the qualified
device name of the partition (e.g., `resize2fs /dev/sda2`) will give
you expected results.  Bang against it with e2fsck and then remount
it.

With your particular situation, the steps involved are exactly that.
If you require further guidance, I'd be more than happy to lend a hand
where I can.

-nrr