Re: Well up and running, now anyone know a GUI GRUB Editor?

On Tue, 2010-12-28 at 21:45 -0600, Wolfgang wrote:
> So then is there no way to resize the loader in GRUB 0.97?  That was
> the one thing I liked with Ubuntu (and after seeing how to edit the
> grub.conf, the only thing).  Just prefered it for the cleaner look
> than pixelated 640x480 on my 1280x1024 monitor, can;t imagine it'll be
> much better when I upgrade my monitor to a 1920x1080.
>
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Robert G. (Doc) Savage
> <dsavage@peaknet.net> wrote:
>

>         Wolfgang,
>
>         Actually it should be quite simple. In a Fedora system the
>         grub.conf
>         file contains this line:
>
>         splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>
>         After boot, this location is /boot/grub/, and the file is a
>         gzipped xpm
>         pix map image 640 x 480 pixels at 72 pixels/inch. You can use
>         gimp to
>         convert any jpg or other bitmapped image to this size and
>         density, save
>         it to xpm format, then gzip it. You can give it any name
>         (foo.xpm.gz)
>         you want as long as your splashimage= line points to it by
>         name.
>
>         --Doc

Wolfgang,

A 640x480 image is *guaranteed* to work. A larger one *probably* will.
The background is a static image, rather like a desktop background. You
can try using an image that's the native resolution of your monitor.
Convert it to .xpm and gzip it. I'm thinking you should have no trouble
unless your /boot partition is tight on space (too many installed
kernels).

I believe the pixellation you are refering to is characteristic of an
LCD panel. The "aliasing" techniques used to blend and smooth
stair-stepping of angled lines on CRT monitors turns out to not work
very well on LCDs. That's why LCDs look best at their native X-by-Y
resolution.

--Doc