Linux not ready for new 4K-sector hard drives

At the last SILUG meeting I mentioned that there is a new generation of
hard drives coming whose default sector sizes are 4K rather than the 512
bytes inherited from floppy drives. I said we could probably expect to
see some problems with these new drives until some very low-level
software is rewritten to support 4K sectors. (Note that I'm using the
term "sector" rather than "block". That's an important distinction at
the hardware layer.)

Here's an example of what I was talking about:

http://www.osnews.com/story/22872/Linux_Not_Fully_Prepared_for_4096-Byte_Sector_Hard_Drives

--Doc