Re: Networking Question Please?

Everett,

The only requirement for your desktop to talk to the other three devices
(router + laptop + server) is that it have an address that can talk to
the others.

By convention, a router's local non-public address is fixed (static) to
something like 192.168.1.1.  The key number is the final ".1". In this
configuration it functions as a "default gateway".

The server and laptop will have addresses like 192.168.1.nnn, and have
network masks of 255.255.255.0. They should also have their default
gateway set to the address of the router.

All these configurations can be set up manually, or automatically if
your router has a DHCP server built it.

Any lights come on?

--Doc