Re: External HDD Format?

Ext4 is supposed to be pretty awesome. Check out the write performance
for large files:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_ext4&num=4

Of course, your kernel has to be new enough to have it. I've got Ext3 on
my 250GB external and it works pretty well, I can even use the windows
Ext2 driver with it: http://fs-driver.org/

The only problem with mounting it as Ext2 is if you disconnect it
without unmounting you might end up scanning for a long time since it
disables the journaling in Ext2 mode. If you're sticking with linux this
won't be a problem.