SSH with pre-shared key *and* password authentication. How does *that*work?

Ok, so I've been talking to Zach a lot lately, and he's got me all
paranoid about running ssh.

I know how to setup the really basic stuff... like... enabling the
server, but past that, I don't really know how to do anything useful.
I'd really like to read up on the different authentication methods and
all of that, but there's so much going on, I don't really know where
to start.

My main goal is to setup my ssh server so that it requires a client to
have a username, a password, and a pre-shared key... just to add
another layer of security. While I'm sure no one really cares enough
to spend the time brute-forcing my password, I do think it would be
fairly useful knowledge to have.

Could anyone point me to any particularly good documentation, or
recommend a book on the subject?
Also, I am perfectly aware that there is a lot of good information in
the man pages for openssh, but what I'm really looking for is a primer
on the whole subject, because I don't even understand half of the
terms that get thrown around.

-- kyle