Re: Fedora Core 7 Upgrade Issue

On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 05:54:21PM -0700, bonnie saunders wrote:
> Downloaded the DVD iso. Burned it w/o issue. Trying to install on the
> laptop as an upgrade and the system errors out thus:
>
> Error enabling swap device hda3: No such file or directory The
> /etc/fstab on your upgrade partition does not reference a valid swap
> partition.
>
> Press ok to restart your system.
>
> Allrighty then, I say.   Reboot into FC6 and take a gander at the fstab.
>
> /dev/hda3 swap swap defaults 0 0
>
> Then I wander over to /dev and lo and behold hda3 exists.

The problem is that hda3 won't exist under F7 since they're using the
libata driver for IDE now, which makes everything show up as sdxx
instead of hdxx.

The simplest thing to do is something like this:

  swapoff /dev/hda3
  mkswap -L swap /dev/hda3
  sed -i.orig -e 's,^/dev/hda3,LABEL=swap,' /etc/fstab

At that point, you might want to reboot to make sure everything is
working OK.  If it is, try the upgrade again.

Steven Pritchard - K&S Pritchard Enterprises, Inc.
Email: steve@kspei.com             http://www.kspei.com/
Phone: (618)398-3000               Mobile: (618)567-7320