Re: Samba Domain: Install applications on XP clients

asouza@siu.edu wrote:
> Thanks for your response!
>
> I currently have the server set up in my test environment and I'm
> liking what it can do so far. However, I am running into a
> Windows XP access problem. Whenever I try to do a silent install
> (or non silent), I get an access denied message because I'm on a
> domain. (Domain users cannot install programs).
>
> I think the solution could be with a fancy registry script. If
> there was a way to 'enable' application installs while the
> install script runs, then turn it back to off- that would be great.
>
> I guess my question to you is, how do you actually install
> programs with this unless you basically give administrator rights
> to every user on all the workstations?
>
> Thanks again for a quality response,
>
> Aaron

I haven't had time to try WPKG out yet.  If administrative access is
required I'd consider this a MAJOR drawback to using this system.

 From http://wpkg.org/index.php/How_WPKG_works%3F :

" ... You will likely run it manually as a local or domain Administrator
when you would be still testing WPKG
(just open a command line using menu Start -> Run -> cmd).

When you finally configure everything the way you like, you will want to
run it automatically on each of your dozens or hundreds of workstations. "

This makes me wonder if there may be further documentation in their
support forums showing how to run this without a domain user logging in
with local administrator rights.

Please respond to the list as you make progress.  I'm sure there are
lots of people who would love to avoid WSUS.

Thanks,
--
Dan Fleischer
Bank & Trust Co.