Re: Tarring

Bryan J. Smith wrote:

>On Sat, 2006-02-18 at 20:04 -0600, stan reichardt wrote:
>

>>Shouldn't the line continuation character be "\" instead of "/"?
>>

>Good catch!
>
>(especially considering _no_ error message was included by the poster
>that would have immediately told us to look for a syntax error ;-)
>
>I personally favor afio with per-file compression and multi-volume
>(user-selectable max size -- such as 600MiB for CD or 4.3GiB for DVD ;-)
>output:
>  http://freshmeat.net/projects/afio/
>
>The problem with tar (or cpio -- let alone their collective replacement,
>pax) is that compression is done _after_ the archive step.  That means
>the entire archive is at the _mercy_ of the compression's recoverability
>with a single bit error after that point.
>
>Stream archives are very recoverable from errors -- unless they are
>compressed.  With per-file compression inside of the archive, it does
>_not_ affect the recoverability of the archive _after_ any error.
>
>Plus there is also my age-old script here which just does per-file
>compression to CD/DVD with_out_ _any_ archiving (since ISO9660 is really
>an archive in itself, and the "record" step is like unarchiving onto a
>media):
>  http://www.samag.com/documents/sam0204c/

the '/' in question is me telling the tar file to archive or tar the
root directory, not root home, but the root directory.  sorry for the
confusion, the mail client must have chopped the line off!
i'll check out the afio thing, and i 'think' i fixed the TAR entry, i
changed it to:

#!/bin/bash
#backup of system information
tar -zcvpf /BloomCounty/BillTCat/`date +'%Y-%m-%d'`_fc4backup.tar.gz
--label="Fedora Core 4 Full Backup" --exclude=mnt --exclude=proc
--exclude=var/spool/squid --exclude=BloomCounty --exclude=*.iso
--exclude=*.rpm --exclude-caches /
#backup of my personal files for college
tar -zcvpf /BloomCounty/BillTCat/`date +'%Y-%m-%d'`_SEMo_U.tar.gz
--exclude-caches --label="SEMo_U Full Backup" /BloomCounty/Binkley/

--
bentley rhodes		| Southeast Missouri University
hbrhodes1s@semo.edu	| College of Nursing, Spring 2008.