WinFS (was Re: HD Backup)

On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 21:23 -0500, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Now more than ever they realize they need the WinFS subsystem, and
> wished they would have completed CairoFS long ago.  But that's another
> story.

Bryan,

Bull's Eye! If WinFS is the one I'm thinking about, the last time I read
about it was more than a year ago when Microsoft announced they were
pulling it from the project that became Vista. From what I'd read before
that, the new FS had database-like features. The idea, said reviewers at
the time, was to integrate the FS deeply into the OS. Probably good for
performance, but not for security (same reasons as IE and IIS) or
interoperability with other OSs.

What's the latest?

-- Doc
Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
Fedora Core 4 kernel 2.6.14-1.1653_FC4 on a P-III/M IBM Thinkpad A22p
            ** Bob Costas for Baseball Commissioner **