Re: HD Backup

My humble $0.02. I've learned the hard way you do not
want to use Fat32 on the primary drive for Win2K, XP.
SEveral of my developer tools would break, because
there was a hidden assumption concerning file
permissions (at the deep level of DCOOM, etc). Also, I
believe it to be a more efficient filesystem (I'm sure
Bryan has details). I guess if you are dual-booting,
Fat32 lets you read-write the drive from Linux. I
would rather have an intermediate Fat32 partition for
sharing between OS's, 'cause you still will have no
problem reading NTFS from Linux (I just don't trust
writing to it). In my case, I use the Ext IFS driver
to read my Ext3 partitions from Windows, and I can
read the NTFS from Linux. I don't really see a need to
write to either OS's main file system.

--- Kyle Pointer <kapointer@charter.net> wrote:

> Which filesystem would you suggest, just generally,
> for use on a
> Windows desktop system?
> NTFS or FAT [ FAT32 ]?
>
> -- Kyle Pointer <fluffyarmada@gmail.com>