Re: ogg to MP3

Robert Threet <rthreet@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I bought my daughter an MP3 player for Christmas and then
> discovered I can't convert between ogg and MP3.

Actually, you _can_, but it will sound like crap.

You _never_ want to convert from one lossy format to another
lossy format.  You want to _only_ lossy compress from the
_original_ lossless capture (e.g., .wav file).

> She's running Ubuntu on a Mac.  What are y'all using to do
> this?

I _never_ convert OGG or MP3 to another format.  I _only_
convert to OGG or MP3 from the _original_, _lossless_ format
(again, such as a .wav file rip).

All new rips I make are put to both OGG _and_ MP3.
That way I don't have to have the huge, original .wav files.
I get perpetual OGG, while player-compatible MP3 too.

> I cannot find lame in Synaptic - just glame and
> toolame.  The former doesn't work and the latter "pretends"
> to make an MP3 that turns out to just be static.

Again, do _not_ convert OGG to MP3.
Re-rip and convert.

--
Bryan J. Smith     Professional, Technical Annoyance                      b.j.smith@ieee.org      http://thebs413.blogspot.com