Re: [silug-discuss]

On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 20:46 -0500, bentley rhodes wrote:
> did you say you soft fold books?  i'm making my print outs on 4.5" by 8"
> (i think).  i'm taking 8.5" X 14" paper and then cutting them in thirds,
> i drill straight through top to bottom, and bind them with hemp or
> thread (i'm using thread now).  sometimes i fold the sheets five thick
> and punch holes in them, and then sew them together and make a front and
> back plates, and cover them.  just wondering what you do.

I used to have an IBM NP17 17ppm printer that had almost a real-time
duplexer (much faster than most HPs).  I had a friend with a folding
machine that did 8.5" x 14" (as well as 3rds).  I'd print the pages, put
them in the folder, and then Velobind them.

And here's where I thought I was a clever.  Instead of just using a
standard cover for each in the Velobinding, I'd actually take plastic
8.5" x 11" pages, and use one front, one back, and tuck the front over
the back.  That way you had a real, protective cover, including edge,
for the book -- double layer on the edge.

Still couldn't hold the book flat, but still, worked out good.

> i guess using the PDF format is best though.  how do you use either OOo
> writer, or GGV to print 1 and 4 on the front, 2 and 3 on the back?

Can't remember the commands I used to use to re-organize the PS/PDF in
different layouts.

I was using LyX, but OOo can generate PS/PDF just like it.

--
Bryan J. Smith   b.j.smith@ieee.org      http://thebs413.blogspot.com
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you