here document (was: A good yum.conf file...)

On Jul 10, 2005, at 6:42 PM, Nathaniel Reindl wrote:
> What he's doing is actually using cat for the purpose from whence
> it got
> its name: concatenating streams.  If you'll look closely at the lines,
> you'll notice redirectors and notation (someone here must recall the
> name of it... I'll be damned if I can) to allow a string to span
> several
> lines.

Your description is dead on.  It's called a "here document".  For
more info:

   $ man bash | less -iX +/'here documents'

or

   http://www.google.com/search?q=here+document

BTW, perl uses here documents, too.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS
for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent