Re: Gnome's dependence on networking...

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 08:19:29 -0800, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> wrote:

> Yep.  Remember, GNOME stands for the GNU _Network_ Object Modeling
> Environment.  There are several things that GNOME does that KDE does not
> -- which is better, I won't debate, but GNOME definitely requires name
> resolution (even if just local).

OK

> This is why Fedora-based systems always set a "localhost.localdomain"
> default with an entry in /etc/hosts.  Fedora-based systems also come
> with a default BIND configuration for a caching-only DNS server
> (although it still must be explicitly enabled).

Brain thanks!  I put localhost.localdomain in my /etc/hosts like so
$ cat /etc/hosts
#       $OpenBSD: hosts,v 1.11 2002/09/26 23:35:51 krw Exp $
#
# Host Database
#
# RFC 1918 specifies that these networks are "internal".
# 10.0.0.0      10.255.255.255
# 172.16.0.0    172.31.255.255
# 192.168.0.0   192.168.255.255
#
::1 localhost.localdomain localhost notebook
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost notebook

and changed my host name to localhost.localdomain. There are now no
hesitations when opening an Xterm or Nautilus. I am using:

Xfce 4.0.6 and Gnome 2.6.2 on OpenBSD 3.6

I tested it by downloading multiple ISO's. Normally it would take 20 -
90 seconds for an xterm or nautilus to open. Now it is almost
instantaneous. I also Googled and found that someone else had a
similar problem:
EXCERPT:
"This is probably a really dumb question, but here goes: Whenever I
login to Gnome in FC3, whether as root or another user, I get a
message that says "localhost could not be found. Gnome programs may
not function properly. Adding localhost to your /etc/hosts file may
fix this problem."

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/305244

> > I may try Bryan Smith's suggestion of using something similar to
> > nscd. There is no nscd in OpenBSD.
>
> Hmmm, it should be available.  Anyone who runs NIS or LDAP should be
> running it on clients.  Or at least run a caching-only DNS server.

I have named here. Will that do the trick?