Re: DEBIAN

Harold Crouch wrote:
> No argument on that subject from me.  Debian programmers are fanatical
> about free (as in RMS) software.  Open-source licensing doesn't cut
> the mustard with them.

That is the #1 reason why I prefer "pure" Debian and Fedora codebases.
They take the legal issues out of the equation.
I regularly have to tell people they cannot bring in most Knoppix CD
off-shoots, only "pure" Debian and Fedora-based LiveCDs.
People complain, but from a corporate standpoint, they reasons are
extremely sound.

> The most popularrepository for java is:
> deb http://www.tux.org/pub/java/debian/  testing  non-free
> The most popular repository for multimedia is:
> deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/  testing  main

Just be careful if you are deploying to a corporate environment when
downloading from these repositories.

> And there are other repositories for KDE 4.3, Openoffice.org-2.0 beta,
> Xfce-4.2.1, etc.  Most of the Debian forums will push you in the right
> direction.

Of course be wary when it comes to repository mixing.
All repositories are aligned against the official Debian ones, but
outside of that, they may conflict with each other.
Try to stick with the major 3rd party APT-DPKG repositories that are
well-known and well-respected by other repositories.

> Umm, let me warn you about the official Debian forums found at
> http://lists.debian.org.  Very high traffic, moderate civility on a
> good day.  Don't go there if being RTFM'ed bothers you.  Don't expect
> a warm welcome for newbies.  There is a much nicer Debian forum at
> http://forums.debian.net  I see quite a few of the people from the
> Libranet forum also posting there.  It's probably your best resource
> if you go with plain vanilla Debian.

How is Libranet v. Xandros these days.
I've deployed little Debian-based other than Xandros as of late myself.

--
Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org
Currently Mobile