Re: tar query

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 10:18 -0600, bntly.rhds wrote:
> hey whats a good line for TAR?  i'm using # tar chpPf, and if i
> understand it correctly
> *  c = compress or create
> *  h = dereference the file the link points to but keep the link

In general, you _rarely_ want to use the h option.
You don't want to dereference symlinks, device nodes or any other
special files, you want to tar to copy them as symlinks, device nodes,
etc...

> *  p = same permissions

That should be the default in all versions I've used -- BSD, SysV, GNU,
POSIX-2001 "pax", star, etc...

> *  P = absolute paths, don't strip leading /

Also, you _rarely_ want to use the P option.
When restoring, you want to be able to restore relative paths under
whatever "scratch" directory, and not overwrite things from root which
storing the leading / does.

--
Bryan J. Smith                   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org