Re: Kernel rebuilding in Fedora Core 3...

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 01:42:53PM -0600, Ken Keefe wrote:
> I got my wireless working using ndiswrapper. However, when I installed
> it, ndiswrapper warned me that my kernel is configured to use a 4k stack
> but most windows drivers use an 8k stack. I was wondering if someone
> could point me to a gentle, but thorough walk through on recompiling the
> kernel in FC3.

It's not what you asked for, but you might want to consider just
replacing the mini-PCI card in your laptop with one of the Intel Pro
Wireless mini-PCI cards.  They're only $30 or so.  (The driver isn't
in the stock kernel, but several sites package it.  Fedora Extras will
probably have it soon-ish.)

Otherwise, grab the kernel source rpm, install it (with rpm -ivh),
edit the Release tag in the spec so you know it is yours (add ".kk" or
something), edit the i686 config appropriately (I think the option is
something obvious like CONFIG_4K_STACKS), and rebuild the custom
kernel with "rpmbuild -ba --target i686 kernel.spec".

It's a shame I haven't had time to find a source for mini-PCI prism54
cards...  Those would Just Work with no extra kernel modules or
anything...

(618)398-3000             | See web site for meeting details.