-----Original Message-----
From:  Ken Keefe
Date:  05-2-1 12:34
To:  silug-discuss@silug.org
Subj:  Re: NFS nightmare

Here here! I too believe that the problem is that most folks were
brought up on Windows. I started using an operating system with Windows
3.0 and used Microsoft products all the way until my 3-4th year in
college, when I made the transition to linux. I remember having a hell
of a time learning about how linux works. I remember browsing through
the files and saying to myself, "Where is the C drive!?!" I'd never go
back to windows now. There is still a crap load of stuff I don't know
about Linux, but it is definitely worth it.

I am really hoping that more schools will jump on the Linux bandwagon
because that is how it is going to really take off. Kids will use it at
school, so they will need to use it at home, which will expose their
families to it. If I had a school-aged child right now, I would have
them use Linux for all of their work. Windows would simply be like a
more complicated XBox for them to play games on. Hopefully, by the time
I have kids, we will be able to play modern games in Linux and then
Microsoft will not exist in my house at all.

People need to realize that they cannot exist in a society where
technology permeates all and expect to be ignorant about technology. I
think that computer literacy should be a goal for schools just as much
as English literacy. It is really sad to talk to some college graduates
who don't understand fundamental concepts about the computer or the
Internet and so on... When I ask them how they can live like this, they
usually say, that has nothing to do with my career. Then, they usually
turn back to their windows box and continue working on some Excel
spreadsheet...

But, hell, I am preaching to the choir.

Ken