Re: General Linux Laptoppin'

Captive is it.

Understand that is it _never_ safe to write to a NTFS filesystem _unless_ you have all of require the meta-data information on it.
In the case of NTm this is the SAM registry with SIDs.

In the NT world, there is _nothing_ like Captive, no way for one NT system to read another's registry.
The most you have is NT5+ using Logical Disk Manager (LDM) disk labels (partition table format, LDM = "Dynamic Disk"), which offers 4 improvements over the legacy PC BIOS ("Basic/Standard Disk").

One feature is the ability to store SIDs in hidden areas of the disk label for a NTFS filesystem.
This allows another NT5+ installation to read these all-important SID info,
so it can safely write to a NTFS file system without having the same SAM registry.
Now the info doesn't guarantee you won't screw up the meta-data (e.g., ACLs, etc...),
but it _does_ prevent one NT installation from corrupting the NTFS filesystem used by another.

The Linux NTFS/LDM project is working hard to implement this feature as well.
LDM is an important support requirement for dual-booting, especially since LDM solves the LBA32/ATA48 geometry issues were starting to see
(especially with buggy BIOSes where NT4SP4-NT5.1 just ignore the Int13h geometry).
With LDM, Linux can read the exact geometry assumed by NT (especially for >137GB drives), and the explicit SID info for a NTFS filesystem,
allowing safe writting to the disk label (partition table) as well as any NTFS filesystems in it.

Until then, the kernel has to make assumptions on geometry,
ones where NT4SP4-NT5.1 conflicts with new >137GB ATA48 / Int13h Extended geometry
(as well as some of its own versions, let alone DOS/Win9x).
And it has to rely on user-space tools like Captive, that reads the registry to discover SAM/SID info so it can safely change meta-data structures on a NTFS filesystem.

These are not Linux issues, but a core BIOS/NTFS design issues,
ones where Microsoft can only accomodate by moving to a new partition table format for NT itself.

--
Bryan J. Smith (currently mobile)
b.j.smith@ieee.org