Re: XMMS and FC3 updater

On Wed, 2004-12-22 at 07:10, bentley_rhodes wrote:
> greetings ... i have discovered that updating xmms automagically kills
> my ability to play  mp3's.  should i try doing the 'automagically'
> updating or installing xmms via http://rpm.livna.org?

MP3 support would be in official Red Hat distributions except for the
legal issues.  The same guys that run the official Fedora Extras
distribution maintain the RPMs at Livna.ORG.  There were the same
repository, the original Fedora Project, before the Red Hat merger.

So this is the highly recommended way!  There is absolutely _no_ reason
to "manually" track down packages, rebuild them, etc... in the RPM
world.  All major RPM distros now have community distributed methods to
use APT, YUM, etc...

In the case of Red Hat, this is the _primary_ goal of the Fedora
project.  To build a community distributed set of packages that augment
what Red Hat directly supports.  If the software fits Red Hat's free
software guidelines, they are typically in Fedora Extras -- the
infrastructure which is supported by Red Hat.  If not, then they are
considered "Fedora Third Party."

I use, in order:
  - Fedora Core, Extras, Legacy
  - Livna.ORG
  - DAG Wieers (he tracks 5 different Fedora Third Party repositories)

Red Hat ships YUM support with _not_ only Fedora Core, but _also_ with
Red Hat Enterprise Linux.  It is the _official_ way to augment your
packages.

If you are interested in messing with source code, then run a "ports"
distribution.  Gentoo is such an excellent distribution founded by an
extremely smart guy, Daniel Robbins.

> or is there another way to work around this?  i have tried setting the 'ignored
> packages' for xmms, but FC3 doesn't ignore it when it brings up all the
> packages to update.

MP3 support is provided in the _additional_ XMMS-MP3 package.  This is
on Livna.ORG.  It is designed _specifically_ to complement the XMMS
included with Fedora Core.  They provide the package _explicitly_ for
each version.

Livna.ORG is designed with FC/RHEL specifically in mind.  It's run by
the original Fedora Project guys.

> and i apologize, i have just now figured out how to set my reply-to to
> this mailing list using mozilla, instead of yahoo.

No problem.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                    b.j.smith@ieee.org
Subtotal Cost of Ownership (SCO) for Windows being less than Linux