Re: Knoppix question and story time!

On Monday, Nov 8, 2004, at 10:10 US/Central, Ken Keefe wrote:
> There is a way to store settings for knoppix
> using a USB key or a part of your hard disk, but I have never really
> messed with that.

You should.  It is quite nifty.  The quick-and-dirty for saving your
personal settings:
  1 - insert USB key
  2 - boot Knoppix
  3 - configure your desktop the way you like
  4 - click "K > KNOPPIX > Configure > Create a persistent KNOPPIX home
directory"
  5 - choose the USB key to save your settings

The next time you boot Knoppix, type this at the boot prompt:
  boot: knoppix home=scan

With just a CD and a USB key I am virtually guaranteed the same home
configuration no matter what computer I use.

You can do the same with the system configuration ("K > KNOPPIX >
Configure > Save KNOPPIX configureation" and boot with 'knoppix
home=scan myconfig=scan'), which is great for having multiple users or
special services you want started, e.g. Apache, sshd, dhcpd.

> I only use Knoppix to demonstrate linux. This past summer I taught a
> course at a community college lovingly called "Operating Systems,"
> which
> was really an intermediate XP course. I know, I know, sounds like
> torture, right? Whatever puts money on the table and puts my foot in
> the
> door. I was able to fit one session's worth of discussion on linux.

That's a fantastic story.

> They struggled
> a little with the definition of "free" software, but I think they
> eventually got it. It was the first time I really felt like I was
> giving
> back to the OS community.

One way I like to explain Free/Libre/OpenSource Software (FLOSS) is
that "Free" describes not what the software "is" but rather what the
software does to you.  FLOSS frees you.  You are free to copy it.  You
are free to study it.  You are free to modify it.  You are free to
distribute it.  Proprietary software restricts you.  You are restricted
from copying, studying, modifying, and distributing it.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource.  Distribute FLOSS for
Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent