Re: Installation Woes

On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 06:52:39PM -0500, Aaron wrote:
> I have an older IBM Thinkpad that will not allow me to boot from a CD

I also have a ThinkPad that doesn't allow me to boot off CD, so you
have someone here who has experience with these things. :)

For the record, aforementioned ThinkPad is a 560Z with a P2/333,
128MB, 30GB.  It runs Fedora Core 2.

> So what distro can I use? It must be entirely contained on disks, if it

Well, here's what I did.  Instead of agonizing over trying to find
another floppy drive and a floppy drive for my workstation, I went
ahead and just wrote one of the bootable images on the Fedora media to
a CompactFlash card, stuck that into a PCMCIA adapter, and booted off
of that.  As far as the computer is concerned, it's an IDE device.

If you're not already running in poor student mode and don't expect to
be for a while, this might be a feasible way to go.

--
Nathaniel Reindl

    "Die Grenzen meiner Sprache bedeuten die Grenzen meiner Welt."
       (The limits of my language mean the limits of my world.)
			-- Ludwig Wittgenstein