making Linux small

I attend Murray State university, for those of you who do not know me,
and I'm seeking some opinions for one of my professors.

One of my CSC professors is creating a robot controlled via gps and
through its signal processing of still photos it takes, etc.
Basically, it is a rover that identifies weeds and non-crop plants in
a field and shoots small amounts of chemicals to kill that particular
thing alone.  Basically, he's attempting to develop an alternative
genetically engineered resistent crop plants and saving on the amount
of chemicals that get dumped into the ground water table.

In any case, that background of the situation is just for your trivial
knowledge for the most part.  Basically, he's looking for an operating
system small enough to fit on a decent size flash card that still
leaves a good platform for allowing other people to write software for
this bot.

They are considering gentoo and I haven't exactly had time to help
research a good solution for this situation, yet figured the more
informed linux users of this list could provide some quick insight.

Thanks

Tim Hart