Re: PHP vs Perl

Ken,

I will not get into the flame war aspect of the
Holy-Programming-Languages Batman!!! sacred thread...

but I will give you my take and experience on your question...

I have used PHP for several years and it's a very powerful, fast, and
fairly easy web language. (notice those last two words) While PHP has
picked up momentum--which furthered use in other areas such as the gui
(gtk-php or something like that, which has nothing to do with the web)
as well as fundamental scripting on the command-line, depending on how
you install php with apache... PHP as a language has not been around as
long as PERL, therefore it's not a fully developed, nor is it used by as
many people. Thus, PERL has more functionality and is more likely to be
used.

I would encourage you to learn both, as is always the slogan, "The right
tool for the job..." However, I would advise you to learn PERL first, as
it is a more complex language offering you a more thorough programming
knowledge and experience, as well as you are much more likely to benefit
from the experience in your future career search.

HTH,
Travis

Travis Owens <openbook@linuxmds.com>