PHP vs Perl

I don't want to start a flame war over this, but I would like to get
your opinions on this. I just finished a really fat book on Apache 2.0
and I want to learn some sort of dynamic content language. I am
currently at a fork in the road and I am considering which path will be
better for me in the end. So, I'd like to know people's thoughts on PHP
and Perl. Before I finished this book, I was heading straight for PHP,
but in the end, the author discusses PHP and Perl and made me doubt my
choice. The author seems to say that PHP is an excellent tool for folks
who don't want to get their hands too wet in programming, but Perl is
much more powerful.

I personally am not afraid of code, in fact I am more afraid of taking
the easy way and therefore not knowing what is going on in the
background. For right now, I want to be able to write message boards,
account systems, and other web apps that work with MySQL. But I want to
also prepare myself with skills that will be very valuable commercially
in the years to come. So, should I keep heading for PHP or should I
reconsider Perl?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Ken