sound, mice and thunderbird

After a recent cd upgrade to fedora core 2 on my desktop, I noticed 2
very strange behaviors.

The first is that what used to be a very stable MS Explorer Optical
mouse, which now will scroll down but exhibits random behavior when
trying to scroll up. (Doc, you posted a boot option here to fix that,
any chance you could post it for me again so I can be lazy). I guess the
difficulty lies in the fact that the mouse is attached to my KVM and
apparently the kernel doesn't handle the KVM well. I did apt-get
dist-upgrade which upgraded the kernel to 2.6.6-1.435.2.3. If you have
this mouse problem, don't do the kernel upgrade. My mouse became totally
unuseable. I am running 2.6.5-1.358 for now.

Second on the list is sound. Everything worked perfectly under FC1.
After the FC2 install the sound was inoperable. I have been fighting it
for weeks now. I finally wised up and went to
http://www.alsa-project.org and searched on my sound card a C-Media
cm8378. The proper configuration lines for insertion into
/etc/modprobe.conf were there as well as the other necessary commands to
run to write the mixer files. If you have sound problems, go there and
search for your sound card. Just remember, where they say to put stuff
in /etc/modules.conf substitute /etc/modprobe.conf. Oh yeah, in case you
haven't figured it out, my sound now works. (happy dance)

Last, in conversation with a few people about the recent DHS/US-CERT
thrashing of Internet Exploder, some windows admins were wondering about
using Thunderbird as a replacement for OE. From everything I'm seeing on
my Windows box, most lusers should feel no pain. My installation of
Evolution kept crashing when I would use keyboard shortcuts to delete
and expunge the SPAM so I'm now using Thunderbird on the Fedora side of
the house too. Very nice.

That is all