xfree vnc and the local console

i would like to be able to control a machine remotely.  i know i can
currently do this with vncserver, but this gives me a completely new
"terminal" into the machine.  what i am wanting is to control the x session
that is logged in locally at the machine.  i dont want to kick that user
off, i just want to join in the session with them. (of course "them" in this
case is me logged in at home)

i would like to be able to start this up from the command line over ssh if
possible.  i read the man pages for Xvnc and vncserver, but they seemed to
indicate that a new x session would be spawned and that i didnt see any way
to attach to an existing session.

i know kde allows for setting this up easily, but that requires me sitting
there at the machine (and in all honesty i have no idea if it will work
under gnome or not because im not sure how they implimented it)

any help on this would be greatly appreciated

Casey