Re: Open Source's effects on programmer jobs

On Sat, 2004-04-24 at 22:57, mike808@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

> Yep. I'm with RMS on this one - "Intellectual Property" is neither.

I am in agreement with Mike on this one. A while back I culminated a 12
year quest to find a complete matched set of Max Planck's "Lectures on
Theoretical Physics". I wanted to scan these off and OCR them and then
post them on the web. Since the English translation is newer than the
1926 (IIRC) cutoff date, it does not qualify as public domain work. I
searched the internet to find out details of whether the copyright had
lapsed. My search lead me to the USPO and there I found that a copyright
search cost $60.00/hour!
 As far as I can tell, McMillan publishers still hold the copyright. I
have not written them. Partly because I anticipate that they would not
want to release the copyright. It's a shame that such valuable works
cannot be disseminated. The exposition of classical physics contained in
these books is so much better than the bilge served up in present day
physics text books (Haliday and Resnick !).