Open Source's effects on programmer jobs

OK, so I've been the quintessential open source (zealot|proponent) in my group
of friends for some time now.  One of my friends makes the point that if the
whole world operated under an open-source model, the amount of redundant code
that would be written would go down dramatically.

The end result of less reduntant work would be less programmer jobs.  I was
curious if:

A)  Anyone had read/seen/found any articles that addressed this (yes I googled
for a bit)
or
B)  Anyone has any experience with this (either way)

Jeremy