Re: P2P (was: one more thing ... )

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 04:09:29PM -0600, Robert Citek wrote:
> As one of the contributors to this thread, I have to apologize for the
> direction it has turned.  My hope was to start a discussion (or even
> just a list) of where linux has weaknesses (even perceived weaknesses)
> and then discuss strategies to address them.

Unfortunately that's just one of those topics where people tend to be
in violent disagreement.  It's probably a topic best left for a
meeting where a) people usually won't get too excited, and b) there's
a natural time limit to the discussion.  :-)

> Personally, I like the idea of P2P (especially BitTorrent) because it
> is a solution that lends itself well to distributing OpenSource
> software, is poorly suited for commercial software (except for perhaps
> distributing virus patches), and is something that we all can
> participate in.

While I don't (exactly) disagree, I haven't been able to convince
myself to actually use anything like BitTorrent.  All of those
programs just seem like a big gaping hole waiting for someone to take
advantage of it.

Then again, I'm the paranoid type.  Running *any* public service makes
me nervous.