P2P (was: one more thing ... )

On Wednesday, March 10, 2004, at 03:23  PM, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 03:07:18PM -0600, I wrote:
>>   There will be NO discussion of politics or religion on this list (or
>>   any other that I am the admin for).
>
> I guess I should specifically exclude from this rule political issues
> that directly affect Linux and/or open-source software in general.
> For example, I have no problem with the discussion of P2P software
> earlier today.  But don't use that as an excuse for personal attacks
> against political figures you don't like.  This isn't the place for
> it.

As one of the contributors to this thread, I have to apologize for the
direction it has turned.  My hope was to start a discussion (or even
just a list) of where linux has weaknesses (even perceived weaknesses)
and then discuss strategies to address them.

One of the items that came up was distributing software and teir-1
OEMS.  Personally, I like the idea of P2P (especially BitTorrent)
because it is a solution that lends itself well to distributing
OpenSource software, is poorly suited for commercial software (except
for perhaps distributing virus patches), and is something that we all
can participate in.  You don't need to have a big pipe nor a static IP.
  ADSL works just fine.

But I'll back off from that for now.

Regards,
- Robert