Re: Logging files remotely through sshd tunnel

Well, have you looked into using netcat?  This is pretty much what it is
used for, well other than the other more nefarious and entertaining
abilities it can be used for.  Although, I am guessing that because you
are booting from a CD there is no way to change the contents of that cd,
unless you wanted to convert it from and iso image into a directory
structure, add all the libraries and binaries that you need for netcat and
then redo the iso image.

Or if you want to be really goofy, you could SSH Tunnel an NFS mount and
mount a directory on your test machine from your local machine, then
you could just run the command with the -o option and feed it the
/mnt/remote or where ever you mount the thing too.

You really don't need to use the SSH tunnel for the NFS mounting, but it
would just be funny.

If it were me, I would just nfs mount and move on.  Unless there is some
need to secure the output of badblocks or something?

Tighe

> Hello all,
> I've finally gotten some more old drives and am in the process of testing
> them.  I'm testing with badblocks (any other suggestions?).
> Since I have several machines and only one monitor, I am using BBC 2.1 cd to
> bring up test_machine (with monitor/kb attached).  Staring networking/sshd.
> Reconnect the monitor to my normal workstation and SSH into the test_machine,
> starting screen and then running badblocks.
> The only thing I would like to be able to do is to save the output of
> badblocks.  Since I am booting from CD and running destructive tests, logging
> locally is not an option (If the files are small enough I guess I could use a
> floppy, but I don't even know where any are right now).
> So I would like to tunnel the log file back to my normal_workstation.
> I've looked on the web and can find how to tunnel to ftp, mail, web and other
> servers, but I haven't figured out how to redirect output from a command
> through a tunnel to a file on another machine?
> Any pointers?
>
> my badblock command is
>    badblocks -w -b 4096 -c 16384 -p4 -s   (supposed to use 128MG ram and do 4
> passes after no new block errors)
> I just need to add -o (output filename) with some redirection.
> Is this possible (I'm pretty sure it is, but I haven't found and example yet).
>
> Thanks for any help, I have to run to work now (which is why I can really use
> some help, don't have much freetime and I'd rather spend it building the
> systems rather than testing hardware) Hopefully I'll find some more time
> tonight to play with this.
>
> Matt Wehland

Tighe Schlottog         workape         fiaid
"Nothing is too cruel if it is funny enough."