Re: Success!!! (was Wireless Help)

> OpenOffice does its own font rendering (old legacy crap, don't ask),

Not the new OO 1.1. Uses the same XFT GNOME does.

> Your best bet is to try to avoid TrueType fonts.
>
> I've had problems where TrueType fonts display fine on-screen, but
> then OpenOffice produces Postscript that none of my printers grok.

You mean try to avoid "crap" TrueType fonts. This is where having quality fonts
comes into play. Many of the "TrueType" fonts floating around (such as you can
download from http://www.dafonts.com/ etc.) are created by amateur font
designers, and these fonts often only have uppercase letters and numbers in
them, and pretty much all of them only have the minimum "printable" characters
in them, with very little hinting, no kerning, and so, pretty much "suck"
compared to professional fonts that contain the entire ISO character sets,
screen, print, small and large hinting and kerning. When they do, they're quite
large, and that also requires a fair amount of work to do. Which most amateurs
balk at - simply doing the minimum they feel like or need for their project.

Which is why people like Agfa and Adobe charge money for their fonts, and
the "Cheezee-Oh" font-of-the-day created by 1337F0ntD00d@msn.com using
Font-o-Matic doesn't.

Another difference may be that the left-and-right double quote characters (MS'
"smart quotes") just aren't in the right Latin-1 or ISO-8559-1 character set
you've indicated for your document. They may be off in some Unicode never-never
land -- who knows where Mickey$oft misplaced their characters, since even their
own so-called ISO-8859-1 documents aren't actually ISO-8859-1 compliant. Read a
little about the 'demoronizer' (you can guess what it does to MS Word documents)
at http://www.fourmilab.ch/webtools/demoroniser/.

And I quote:

  Rule of thumb--every time Microsoft use the word "smart,"
  be on the lookout for something dumb.

Mike/